Tuesday 12 May 2015

On Losing a Lake

Most of the children said
that once the lake dries up
and a cracked bed remains
the thing they will miss most
will be the reflections
they are used to seeing in the water
Catherine said she couldn’t imagine the peaks and the sky
not being rooted in an inverted image of themselves
That it was awful to think of them rising from the mere ground

I prompted the class in the direction
of being concerned for our source of fresh water being gone
What will we wash in?
How will farmers cope?
What will we drink?
But on a recount of raised hands after my intervention
the disappearance of the ability of the reservoir to reflect
won hands down again  

After class at my desk their answer made me think
of death and of losing you my love
I don’t know why but it did
And the sense of it came rushing in like a flood




No comments:

Post a Comment