Tuesday 7 July 2015

Finding Out There Were Mountains


the mountains here are wild;
you'd never know if you didn't get out of the city
which can consume you as it almost did me.

for the first six months of my living here,
I truly believed the entire island to be a metropolis.
I knew my way around town, Taoyuan,
having purposely lost myself a few times
on my motorbike- my Sanyang one-fifty.

I would ride around; I quite enjoyed being lost,
until I'd see something I recognized
and doing it this way the city soon took shape,
like a forming jigsaw puzzle.
it was on one of these adventures
when as lost as I'd ever been,
I reached an interesting cusp,
where the relentless city gave up as
up until then I had never dreamt it would.

In its place cut a deep valley;
the road I was on, the number seven,
wound down into it.
I could make out a river in a huge floodplain,
making tributaries of itself and reforming
like a silver child with too much space to play in.
but it was the mountains on the other side of the valley
that ensnared my gaze and attention- steep and jungled,
and clearly the number seven cut into them.

I took a chance on the petrol I had left in my tank;
the gauge was broken and always showed full,
and made for them, popping out of the urban fizz
like a cork.




No comments:

Post a Comment