Monday 24 June 2019

The Stew



Over the infancy
of what I hope
will be a piquant stew
I dwell on the
shape of things

how meekly
those who have
nothing to want
surrender

and how those who
have nothing to fear
feign empathy
almost convincingly

HomellS Pepil cAn Stay Here

my neighbour’s
seven year old
blu tacked this
up in their window

It’s been there for
the best part
of a year

seeing off window clean
after window clean
from the inside

A suburban gesture
made in the best
of faith by the
best of people
a child

I fetch bay
from the tree in my garden 
as I think about

the complacency
and complicity

of a middle class
who can conveniently
just about bear their
guilt

and now look...

Somewhere
between Trump
Global Warming
and Brexit

I’ve forgotten the splash
of red wine



By Ruodprecht - Own work, CC BY 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=25490318

No comments:

Post a Comment