Saturday 5 May 2018

Dear Lyd

Dear Lyd,

Let me preface this
by telling you that
despite my Catholic immersion
as a child,
I’ve turned out an unbeliever
as you and Jungle were.

And I think you had a role
to play.

I’d challenge priests,
Sunday school teachers
and obsequious lay ministers
to tell me that you would go
to hell when you died,
having listed the litany of your traits;
you were and still are
the best person
I have ever known.

Jordan Peterson makes
the argument that we
are Christians, whether
we like it or not,
conditioned by Judeo-Christian values,
rather than simply human ones.
I think of you when watching
him, with his legs crossed
and fingers stabbing at the air;

he’d dissolve in one of your hugs;
he’d be certain of the supernovas in humanity.
I know I was.

I’ve named my daughter after you
You two missed each other
by nineteen years,
a cosmically insignificant period;
I like the idea of floating so far from
the Earth that the time between the pair
of you seems to touch
and you can meet before my oxygen runs out.

Even so, there are clues of you in her;
she’s kind
and I’m certain she has your laugh.
Then there are also the famous Leah-Lyd hugs;
that’s where I feel you most.
She hugs with every heartstring
just as you did Lyd.

It’s because of her in fact
that I have to end this now.
She’s pointing out the beautiful day outside
and that she’s still in her pyjamas.
I’ll give her a kiss from you.

Rest in peace,
Roy







No comments:

Post a Comment