Sunday 13 May 2018

The Namib


"All good things..."

You crack a  half smile.
All good things indeed.
I’d been trying
not to notice the peripheries,
where the blooms were browning,
and the sand once again
had begun to hiss
and devil.

"You always fear the end of things before they even start."

I wonder what in
our nature makes us
settle for such peaks
and troughs,
as the writhing spines of
doomed tilapia in our dwindling lake
begin to cut its surface
to shreds.

"I can’t handle you when you’re like this;
you really should get help."

Looking through you now,
watching the resigned desert dwellers
slowly depart like sad ships,
abandoning us
and our faded ephemeral turn
to begin another migration.

"Whatever.
I love you less."

You pour sand from your wineglass,
pick up your dancing shoes
and take your place amongst the fish bones
on the cracked lake bed,

as my thoughts turn to seeds
and next year’s rains.




No comments:

Post a Comment